With the onset of autumn and the first cold weather, most bikers begin to prepare their iron horse for the coldest and snowiest time of the year. Preserving a motorcycle for the winter is an important and responsible task, which consists in selecting a dry garage and carrying out a number of procedures that not only extend the operational period of the vehicle, but also reduce the cost of a trouble-free start to the new season. But with the onset of the first truly spring days, you want to have your loyal friend without any problems and start a new season of traveling around the country and comfortable movement around the city without traffic jams.
It is best to store the motorcycle in a heated or unheated garage. The main thing was that he had a roof over his head. Of course, you can leave it in the open air for the winter, but no motorcycle manufacturer recommends doing this. With sharp temperature fluctuations and severe frosts, the elements of the iron horse engine can begin to oxidize and become unusable ahead of time. In addition, the start of the new season will start with a new, unplanned ONE, which can come at a pretty penny.
To date, there is no single algorithm for preserving a motorcycle for the winter. From different motorcycle owners, as well as on the Internet, you will hear diametrically opposite opinions. In this article, we have collected only those recommendations that are made by people with different points of view and financial capabilities.
List of works for motorcycle preservation
- Washing. Comprehensive cleaning with special attention to hard-to-reach engine components. That’s where the most dirt accumulates. After washing, it is necessary to dry the motorcycle and make a purge of all its electrical connectors and connections from the accumulated dust.
- Silicone grease treatment. All rubber parts of the motorcycle must be treated with silicone grease, and the leather seat must be treated with a moisture repellent. Lubricate the metal parts with the classic WD-40.
- Fill up the full tank. To avoid corrosion of the metal tank from the inside due to water condensate that can form in a closed, semi-empty space. If your tank is plastic, then this item is optional.
- Replace the oil. The oil must be changed twice a year. Before the beginning of winter, and with the first warm days. If you leave the waste oil for the winter, it will begin to emit lower fractions that settle at the bottom of the crankcase. This may cause the oil filter and the lubrication system to malfunction.
- Remove the battery. Since the Skladikoff containers are unheated, the battery must be removed and taken home. In severe frosts, it will still “sit down” – it is better to come at the beginning of the motorcycle season immediately with a guaranteed full charge on the terminals.
- Pump the wheels up to 3.5 kg/s. During severe frosts, the pressure on the rubber can greatly increase, which will lead to its deformation and cracking. If you install a central stand in the container, the tire pressure can be reduced to one atmosphere, since the load on the wheels will be significantly reduced in this way.
- Close the muffler outlet. Many bikers start preparing for the winter with this very simple point. This is done for the same reason as filling a full tank – to avoid moisture settling on the inner walls of the silencer. For clogging the silencer, it is not necessary to use any specialized devices – you can do with the usual package from the store and tape.
What does Skladikoff offer for bike owners
Skladikoff is a network of warehouse container sites throughout Moscow. We are ready to provide you with a container in which you can make the preservation of the motorcycle for the winter, but also a bunch of additional things that are not needed in the house. For example, you can vacate the balcony or leave your bike and summer tires of your car for the snow period. All our sites are securely guarded and equipped with video surveillance. In addition, each container has an outlet (for charging the battery, for example), lighting, and an asphalt entrance. You will have access to your bike 24/7 with no restrictions on the duration of your stay on the site.